Friday, September 04, 2009

$3.50 the Hard Way

Bicycling: 3.3 miles @ 11:40 a.m.
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 68°F, 90% Humidity, Wind: WSW @ 5 mph; feels like 68°F.
Course: To drop off returnable cans at the mega-lo-mart and then to return a DVD, then, finally, home.

It's the last official day of Summer vacation (despite having reported to school for classroom set-up this past Tuesday and Wednesday) and I have yet to mold together anything resembling a training plan. Given that I continue to have some lingering ache, I'm not sure how in a hurry to do this I really am. Rather than wake up and run every morning, I have continued to build; opportunities for more sustained activity into my everyday life.

A few weeks ago I took my returnable cans to the redemption center (ie. the local mega-lo-mart) via the standard mode of transport--my automobile. This morning I thought I might try something different and return the cans on my bicycle.

It is not an easy task bicycling the mile-and-a-half to the store while attempting to carry a rather cumbersome bag of cans. Note to self: it may also be a slightly more manageable endeavor if said cans are not in their boxes--the large black plastic bag is not easy to mold into a more manageable (handle-able?) shape otherwise.

With little commotion (the occasional plastic in spokes sound comes to mind) I was able to return the cans for a profit of $3.50!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: