Monday, September 28, 2009

The Training Week(end) That Was... 9/26-27

I haven't posted a training week recap since the week ending July 5, 6/29-7/5 because I haven't consistently put any mileage in since that date (a day that will live on via the pic to the right!).

After placing myself on the shelf for a few months, and working through some injuries, I now find the bug has bitten me again and I am endeavoring to get a training rhythm back. I haven't started this close to scratch since, well, scratch. The "project" (moi) this time may be more challenging than the last.

Following my three month hiatus from training, I have understandably seen my fitness diminish greatly. According to my physician, my thigh muscles (and by extension the connective tissue around my kneecap) have "atrophied" slightly due to lack exercise (save some random bicycling, walking and hiking) so two weeks ago he advised my to continue using some strengthening exercises as I seek to return to running. Even though I am "back," well, I ran the past two days, things are exciting as I am almost back to square one.

For example, on June 30 I completed a training run of 21 miles in just short of three hours. This morning, I managed to stumble through 3.5 miles in nearly a half-an-hour. My how things change!

Here is what took place this past week(end) with my training:
Monday-Friday: Nada
Saturday: 2.6 miles @ 9:17 min/mile pace
Sunday: 3.5 miles @ 7:42 min/mile pace

TOTAL MILEAGE: R 6.1 miles (+6.1 miles from the previous week)
Weigh-In*: 191.5 184.0 lbs. (+7.5 lbs. from July 6, -1.5 lbs. from last week) [* @ 4:50 a.m. on 9/28/09]
It is probably a good idea to register for some sort of structured "race." Because I had been fairly competent (i.e. didn't come in the bottom 50%) of most previous races, any race will likely almost assuredly involve a deal of personal pride swallowing. I've got a number of ideas (and a pile of multi-colored fliers with races and dates), but I'm still waiting another day or two before running lightly, establishing another training plan and making some decisions.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: