Monday, February 15, 2010

Fonzie, Me and Rodney Yee.... 2Gether Again!

The Fonz: [to his class] Don't you understand, your brain is clay and I gotta *squeeze* it!
[class is startled]
The Fonz: [then calmly] Let me put that another way..."
~Happy Days (1974)
AS part-and-parcel of my return to training, I am once again committing to a regular series of yoga poses. Waking up this morning, a little achier and little stiffer than usual, I am reminded of ho important this aspect of my training is now that I am a little older and a little less likely to recover quickly and without the benefits of stretching...

I made the decision to do so last evening and further demonstrated my commitment o ti this morning at 7:00 am when I followed up my "jumping out of bed and having a cup of joe routine with a trip to the attic. There,

I dug out one of my old (like, gosh, almost TEN years-old now!) yoga videotapes to work through. A number of times (it must be at least annually), I will come back to the yoga practice as a means of maintaining what (little) flexibility I have, and as a means of working while resting. Right now, the additional benefit is that doing even a fraction of a tape or two allows me to feel that my "head" is still "in the game." I reckon it's a discipline thing...

This particular morning I skipped past the reflective meditation with the "Opening" series of Yoga Conditioning for Athletes with uber-yogi Rodney Yee (he of the by-now-familiar Prana Sleep mattress television ads). I "skipped" this portion as I now regularly practice meditation without the use of the tape, so it seems somewhat redundant... besides I'll sit for a while later this morning, as planned.

It felt great to be participating in some structured movement and led nicely into a fifteen minute reflective period. Now to be patient with my recovery and (more difficult for moi) maintain a level of fitness that will in the long run continued to my overall quality of exercise (and life!).

Easier "said" than "done," I know, but definitely worth the effort of s-q-e-e-e-e-zing it into my schedule and making it a part of how I start my day... chalk another one up for me, Yee and Fonzie!

Breathe in, breathe out... YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: