Sunday, July 25, 2010

Post-Workout Recovery Drinks?

The past two weeks, I have found myself adding a post-run recovery glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials drink to my four times weekly training routing. The thought here was that it would assist in improving my recovery between workouts, thereby reducing the likelihood of wear and tear injury. In actuality, I have found the drink to be something of a breakfast replacement as it generally leaves my humger satiated and, as an added bonus, it tastes really good!

According to an online article found at Runnersworld.com:
"Research indicates that adding a little protein to the carbs you consume post run helps speed the restoration of your glycogen (energy) stores and facilitate muscle repair.

Consequently, most recovery drinks contain 30 to 60 grams of carbs and seven to 15 grams of protein--roughly a four-to-one ratio. 'Recovery drinks can significantly improve any athlete's ability to have a quality workout tomorrow and the day after that,' says Carmichael."
Despite the fact that it offers "the nutrition of a complete breakfast, 2x protein of eggs and calcium of yogurt, and 21 vitamins and minerals," and while I have been drinking it as such, Carnation Instant is really not what should be used as a recovery drink.

So, the question is, what can, or should, I use?

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: