Friday, July 23, 2010

Rainy Roadie: Empire State Games, Day 1

No, it is not an evening event, it was actually only about 9:00 a.m.,
but REALLY cloudy and drizzly!

This morning I took a short road trip down the thruway to Amherst, New York, just outside Buffalo where the Empire State Games (New York State's Olympic-style competition--back after a one year "hiatus due to budget concerns) scholastic and open Track & Field completion was being held. Thanks to my Garmin, and a little cell phone help from my wife, I made it on time to watch one of the lads I coach during the school year compete in the scholastic 200m dash finals.

While the facilities were beautiful, and the parking very accessible, the weather (or at least lack of inters?) resulted in very few spectators--hopefully more will come tomorrow.


As hard work would have it, the student-athlete
I had come to watch placed second overall in his event!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: