Thursday, July 08, 2010

Run: 4.8 miles in ≈42:27 min @ 6:40 am

Weather: Partly Cloudy, 72°F, 87% Humidity, Wind: SW @ 8 mph; feels like 72°F.
Pace: ≈8:53 min/mile
Course: To University Avenue, a right on Winton, a right on Hillside through Cobbs Hill and home.


Three days removed from the extraction of three wisdom teeth (at 41 years of age, apparently not a good thing) and following a four day heat wave, this morning hardly seems like the absolute best day to go for a run, but it is early enough (6:40 am) and I'm recovered enough (still look I just got punched in the right side of the face) for me feel as though I can give it the old college try.

As my pace (≈8:53 min/mile) would seem to indicate, though it was not necessarily too early in the day, it may have been too early in my recovery primarily, I think, because I had such little gas in the tank. Over the past few days (and even now, I have been unable to chew food and haven't had much of an appetite, so my caloric intake has been severely reduced to a maximum of about 1200 calories a day (all coming in the soft forms of sorbet, ice cream, apple sauce, and microwave mac-and-cheese).

I would surmise that the tired legs I was experiencing was due in part to this calorie deficit, but I was glad to have completed the truncated course I had prepared for myself. I must say, though, that I am getting tired of always seeming to run between 4.5-4.9 miles--I'm hoping that tomorrow I can put together a strong-ish long-slow-distance (lsd) run of between 6-7 miles.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: