Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Run: 7 miles in ≈57 min. @ 6:10 a.m.

Weather: Cloudy, 65°F, 90% Humidity, Winds: Calm; feels like 65°F.
Course: An abbreviated version of Nine Point Sevenish found on USATF Map It!
Pace: ≈8:08 min/mile
Effort: 3 out of 5
How did I feel? Blah!
Gear: Amphipod RunLite Trail Runner


This morning was one of those times when running was more of a chore than a pleasure--though I had mapped out a ten miler, it was clear to me at mile four that I needed to adjust my expectations and take a detour to shorten the distance. This was a recognition on my part that the potential negative psychological impact to my long term training if I were to stop and walk in the interest of pursuing an ill-fated ten, was far more damaging than if I opted to simply adjust my daily goal and run the whole way.

For myself, I have found that if I don't mentally address any self-doubt at the moment it creeps in, it will fester quickly, hurting my training. This morning, I was too distracted to do so effectively. I did, however, feel it was an accomplishment to complete the modified seven miler with the goal of "living to run another day."

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: