Thursday, August 12, 2010

Taste Test: Pineberry Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 medium ripe banana
1 6 oz. can of pineapple juice
1/2 cup vanilla non-fat yogurt
1 cup frozen raspberries, partially thawed
Thought the smoothie to the right may look exactly like the one I made yesterday, it is actually from a different recipe and includes some alternate ingredients. While the texture was consistent with yesterday's Runner's Delight Smoothie, the Dole Pineberry Smoothie has, as its name suggests, a six ounce can of pineapple juice, as well as employing vanilla yogurt rather than milk.

One thing I had not considered, mostly I suppose because the information as not available with the online recipe, is the total calorie count for the Runner's Delight. The Dole Pineberry, however, was clipped from a newspaper by my wife, so it had much more nutritional information with it. As you can see from the image to the left, the he recipe makes 2 servings, each containing 180 calories.

The glass pictured above is actually a 2 serving glass which I prepared and drank following the 6.6 mile run I completed just minutes prior. Also, I erred in purchasing regular vanilla yogurt rather than non-fat. This drink served as both my breakfast and recovery drink, so the total calories was not a concern for me.

I greatly enjoyed the flavor and consistency of the Pineberry Smoothie. The pineapple juice was not overpowering but added a pleasant citrus aspect to the taste. I also did not anticipate enjoying the including of vanilla yogurt (something I've never tried on its own), but my anti-yogurt bias was wrestled into submission by the overall flavor of the smoothie. I'll be making this one again!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: