Sunday, November 04, 2012

They Call Me Kiiiiiiid...

My special edition CROCSkin Classics
in their natural habitat.
CROCS!

As a teacher and coach I spend a significant amount of my day on my feet. This was a cognisant choice I made when choosing  an educational path that would lead to a career in teaching as I recognized the difficulty I would have sitting in one place (a desk) for long periods of time (like in an office). I knew that to find myself in a job that required me to do just that would lead to a life of dissatisfaction. Of course, I had in the back of my mind that it would also lead to a dynamic life of standing, moving... teaching.

For the last few years, as I've made my way through the school day, and ultimately, school year, I would query high school students regarding footwear that was comfortable. Most of the time time their suggestions would be about one hip type of footwear or another that, though "cool" in appearance to them (Vans), proved uncomfortable for my purposes. I wanted a shoe that was breathable and comfortable.

This past summer, after noticing many more elementary school aged children, and more than a few of my high school student-athletes, wearing CROCS, I decided to make the leap to wearing the foam clogs while, at first, working in my garden. The brown Yukon Sport CROCS quickly became the only footwear I would don when doing anything that required anything on my feet. The fact that I could do so without socks was a benefit I greatly enjoyed. While some of my initial resistance to going the CROC route was my incredible misperception that they were decidedly unstylish ("hideous" by some accounts) or not professional-looking enough. This, of course, I quickly began to see was rubbish--or at the very least, in the eye of the beholder.

Now, I am a CROCS-fan and have welcomed them as a key part of my wardrobe whether in the classroom, tending the garden or coaching at meets. I proudly wear my CROCS  (Yukons, Crocskin Classics and/or Lined Cobblers) daily, in nearly every aspect of my professional and personal life, even having welcomed my students as fellow "cool" members of CROCS Nation.

If you, gentle reader and CROCS aficionado, are interested in sharing your CROCS story, as part of their 10th anniversary, CROCS is inviting you to share your CROCS story on their official website. I shared mine there and you should feel free to chime in, too!

No comments: