Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Simple Gifts: Back to School

Each September as I prepare my binders, books, and folders for transport to my classroom, I'll go through my CD carrier (I guess I'm "old school"--no MP3 player or iPod!) and pick some music to bring with me.

The first few days back to work are often filled with meetings and planning time during which I select the school year's introductory activities and reading selections that I will be employed, in part, use to start the year off on the right foot. Selecting music-to-plan-by is an important part of this process for me. I thought I'd take a moment to share one of the CDs, I slipped into the CD carrier sleeve for planning purpose this morning...

The compact disc Simple Gifts: Shaker Chants and Spirituals, with music selected by Joel Cohen, is one of two collections of Shaker traditional songs I own. One of my favorite discs, it also includes probably my favorite piece of music, the song Simple Gifts. Composed in 1848 by Shaker Elder Joseph Brackett as an easy-to-learn tune for Shaker worship--extolling the virtues of a simple life--has become one of America's most popular all-purpose melodies. I've always found it interesting that it was originally intended as a dancing song.
SIMPLE GIFTS

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free.
'Tis the gift to come down
where we ought to be.
And when we find ourselves
in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley
of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend
we shall not be ashamed.
To turn, turn
will be our delight,
'Till by turning, turning
we come round right.
In my mind, an almost perfect marriage of lyric and tune that always makes my heart happy with its message of delighting in life's simpler joys--like, for me, the opportunity each year to do the work I so enjoy.

Breathe in, breathe out... YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

1 comment:

Indeterminacy said...

My mother has told me for years, the finest music she heard was a set of Shaker songs - I wanted to get her a cd, but didn't know anything about it - until reading your post!